FAQ for Students
iTa’leem FAQs - for Students
If you cannot find the answer you need here, please contact email@example.com for further help.
What is iTa’leem?
iTa’leem is the new e-learning platform in IIUM. iTa’leem stands for Innovative Teaching and Learning Environment System. It is in line with the National E-learning Policy which requires that all public universities adopt a Web 2.0 enabled Learning Management System (LMS) for its e-learning platform.
iTa’leem is based on an open source LMS i.e. MOODLE (Modular Object Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment). As of June 2013 MOODLE had a user base of 83,008 registered and verified sites, serving 70,696,570 users in 7.5+ million courses with 1.2+ million teachers (Wikipedia).
How do I log into iTa’leem?
Go to http://italeem.iium.edu.my and log in using your matric number and pin number (password).
I cannot login into iTa’leem. What should I do?
If you cannot login, try the following:
- Make sure you have changed your temporary pin no given to you by AMAD/CPS when you first came to IIUM.
- Log into the MyIIUM portal and update your profile.
- Activate your account at the MyIIUM portal.
- If you still cannot login, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
When I logged into iTa’leem, I don’t see my courses
If you cannot see your courses, try the following:
- Make sure you have successfully registered for your courses during the Add/Drop period.
- Check your registered courses in MyIIUM portal.
I cannot see the course materials that my lecturer has uploaded into iTa’leem
If you cannot see your course materials, try the following:
- If your lecturer is teaching multiple sections of the same course, he/she may be uploading course materials into the combined course which students cannot see.
- Inform your lecturer and make sure he/she has uploaded the course materials in the correct course and section.
Can I edit my profile in iTa’leem?
All iTa’leem users - students and staff can edit their profiles where you can upload a photo and add additional details about yourself such as your Webpage, Skype ID, etc.
- In the Administration block, click My profile settings and then Edit profile.
- Edit the fields you wish to change.
- Click Update profile at the bottom of the page.
Can I access iTa’leem using mobile devices such as mobile phones and tablets?
You need to download and install the free Moodle Mobile app and install it on your mobile device.
- For Android users, go to Google Play store to download and install Moodle Mobile.
- For iPhone and iPad users, you can download Moodle Mobile from iTunes.
Will I receive notification via e-mail when my lecturer add activities such as assignments, forums, etc. in iTa’leem?
E-mail notification will be sent to all students automatically when lecturer add activities such as assignments, forums, quizzes, online chat, web conferencing, etc.
My lecturer has posted a forum topic and requested students to reply and discuss the topic given. However I can view the forum but I cannot reply. I don’t see any button or link to reply.
Your lecturer posted the forum in the News forum where students can only view but cannot reply. The News forum is for lecturers to send announcements to students. Please inform your lecturer to add another forum activity in the course page so that students can view and reply to the forum.
How do I submit assignments on iTa’leem?
Moodle assignments are shown on the course homepage when the lecturer adds the Assignment activity. The assignment submission page will show the assignment deadline and other details. The steps to submit assignments are:
- For file submissions, either drag and drop your file(s) into the File submissions field, or browse for the file to upload by clicking on Add... in the left top corner. Finally, click Save changes to confirm.
- For text only submissions, click Add submission and type into the Online text box. Save changes.
If your lecturer has provided feedback and graded your assignment, you be able to see the feedback and your marks by clicking on the assignment once it has been marked. You will usually receive an email notification.
For more information, contact:
E-learning Unit, Centre for Professional Development (CPD),
International Islamic University Malaysia,
Level 2, Education Building,
P.O. Box 10, 50728 Kuala Lumpur,
Tel: (603) 6196 4155/4157/4056/4059
Fax: Admin (603) 6196 4156